Here’s a list of direct and potential impacts from the proposed 24-hour service centre and fast food outlet.
Feel free to crib for your own submissions to Council in opposing the development. But to keep your submission legit, best to re-write what you use in your own words.
Evidence backing all of these points can be found in the Coffs Harbour City Council’s own planning and visions documents, in various State development documents, or in external sources such as science periodicals.
Keep your eye on this page, too: we’ll be adding to it over the next week or so in preparation for final submissions to Council.
The proposed development at 2B & 4 Moonee Beach Road as outlined in development application 0824/16DA will (in no particular order):
1. Cause anti-social behaviour and increase the level of anti-social behaviour in the area.
2. Potentially increase vandalism.
3. Result in unacceptable traffic volumes within a small coastal village environment.
4. Result in unsafe traffic conditions
5. Impact on the existing pedestrian, cycle and motor scooter access
6. Cause unsafe pedestrian, cycle and motor scooter access to the shopping centre. It does not meet the objective to provide a pedestrian friendly community as per Coffs Community Strategic Plan
7. Not meet the objective to encourage walking and cycling as per the zoning objective
8. Impact on the level of safety at the existing bus bay on Moonee Beach Rd
9. Result in the release and increase of carcinogens via car exhausts and fuel vapours
10. Cause unacceptable health risks to adjacent children and surrounding residents
11. Increase the level of air pollution
12. Result in unacceptable noise levels, impacting on the childcare centre and residents
13. Result in a potentially hazardous facility in a coastal village environment.
14. Result in a potentially hazardous facility that is too close to the childcare centre, residents and pedestrian usage.
15. Result in development that is not compatible, that is not suitable with the adjoining land uses and the coastal village environment.
16. Not meet the objectives within the NSW Planning Guidelines Risk Criteria for Land Use Safety Planning
17. Not meet the objective to provide a safe public domain as per the zoning objective
18. Not meet the objective to provide a safe community as per Coffs Community Strategic Plan
19. Cause unacceptable impacts to residents and the amenity from lighting
20. Result in a development that does not meet the objective of providing a positive contribution to the streetscape as per the zoning’s objective
21. Not meet the objective to ensure the development does not result in unacceptable amenity impacts on adjoining residents as per development control requirements Amenity sD1.20.
22. Cause land devaluation to surrounding residences
23. Result in development that does not meet the community needs
24. Result in development that is not needed
25. Result in development that cannot be justified when there are existing service stations within approx. 5.5km to the north and to the south.
26. Result in development that cannot be justified when a Highway Services Centre is being constructed at Arrawarra
27. Result in development that cannot be justified when a service station has recently been approved at the Coffs Bypass England¹s Rd Interchange at Stadium Drive, south of Coffs Harbour.
28. Result in development that cannot be justified when there are eight (8) service stations on the existing Pacific Highway between Moonee Beach and England’s Road roundabout including the recently approved service station DA at Stadium Drive.
29. Not meet the objectives to provide a range of business that serve the needs of people as per the zoning objectives.
30. Result in the loss of land allocated for local business opportunities
31. Cause a loss of economic opportunities for local business
32. Cause a loss of future job opportunities by not having a wider variety of local business
33. Not meet the objectives to provide a wide and diverse range of business types as per the aims of the Coffs LEP 2013.
34. Not meet the objective to provide a strong sense of community, identify and place as per the aims of the Coffs LEP 2013. Moonee Beach Gateway to Moonee Beach National Park & Marine Park, place of Aboriginal cultural heritage significance, significant international and national tourist destination
35. Disturb and expose soils potentially contaminated with asbestos from previous house demolition
36. Impact on adjacent land that has been identified as a neighbourhood park in accordance with Moonee Release Area Development Contribution Plan 2015 and Draft 2016.
37. Result in surface water pollution in Moonee Estuary. Stormwater outlets discharge directly into Solitary Islands Marine Park
38. Result in development that does not currently meet development control requirements for water management sD1.13
39. Result in groundwater water pollution. No valid information has been provided as yet to identify water table levels & depth of excavations.
40. Result in the deposition of heavy metals and contaminates in sediments within Moonee Estuary
41. Potentially impact on the quality and use of local groundwater bores
42. Significantly cause an increase in runoff. This has the potential to impact on the capacity of the existing stormwater infrastructure to operate effectively. This has the potential to cause flooding impacts to adjoining properties.
43. Result in development that does not meet the objective to provide for the continued protection of high conservation vale land as per development control requirements for Environmental D1.15.
44. Result in development that conflicts with the objective to promote the unique environmental values as per the Coffs Community Strategic Plan.
45. Significantly result in litter which is unacceptable
46. Cause litter to enter Moonee Estuary. Litter kills aquatic and terrestrial wildlife
47. Cause litter which impacts on amenity which is unacceptable
48. Cause waste disposal concerns if oily waters from the service station is not disposed of via sewer through a Council Trade Waste Agreement.
49. Not meet the objective to promote development that is consistent with the principles of ecologically sustainable development as per the aims of the Coffs LEP 2013.
50. Not meet the objective to ensure our natural environment and wildlife is conserved for future generations as per Coffs Community Strategy Plan Draft 2016.
51. Result in a 24hr Fast Food Outlet that does not promote healthy living as per the objective of Coffs Community Strategy Plan Draft 2016.
52. Not meet the objective to provide growth and development that protects the environment, builds prosperous communities and offers attractive lifestyle choices as per the Mid North Coast Regional Strategy Draft 2016.
ADDITIONAL NOTE: Chris Gulaptis Parliamentary Secretary for the North Coast states on the opening paragraph of the Mid North Coast Regional Strategy Draft 2016 that: the natural environment of the North Coast is one of the most popular features of the State. It is one of the main reasons residents choose to live in the region and 11 million tourist come to visit each year.