Letter to petition Mr John Gowing, Managing Director, Gowings Brothers Pty Ltd
Gowing Brothers Pty Ltd's (Gowings) development application 0824/16DA proposes a 24-hour service centre and fast food outlet at the corner of Moonee Beach and Sullivans Roads, Moonee Beach.
The community of Moonee Beach village calls on Mr John Gowing, Managing Director of Gowings, to withdraw this development application for the following reasons:
- The proposal does not comply with Gowings commitment to a policy of environmental responsibility, as stated in Gowings 2014 Annual Report.
- The proposal does not fit the criteria for a Local Centre (Zone B2, Coffs Harbour LEP) in objectives nor in spirit.
- The proposal's potential to adversely affect the protected Moonee Estuary, including 20 vulnerable or endangered species, through industrial leaching and fast food litter is incongruent with the pro-environment ethic of Gowings Whale Trust.
- The proposal puts children at risk from airborne carcinogens such as benzene, from fast food marketing and the known link between fast food consumption and childhood obesity and diabetes, from stranger danger by attracting highway through-traffic, and from an increase in traffic to an area where village kids walk, skate and cycle.
Primary among the aims of Coffs Harbour City Council's Local Environment Plan zoning B2 Local centre are:
- To provide a range of retail, business, entertainment and community uses that serve the needs of people who live in, work in and visit the local area.
- To maximise public transport patronage and encourage walking and cycling.
- To ensure that new commercial buildings make a positive contribution to the streetscape and contribute to a safe public domain.
In none of these does the proposal contribute to a positive community need.
There are petrol stations both north and south within five kilometres of Moonee Beach, with more planned between Korora and Arrawarra.
The development of a fast food outlet can in no way be seen as a positive community outcome given Australia's epidemic of obesity, diabetes and diet-based cancers.
Far from encouraging healthful pursuits such as walking and cycling, the proposal discourages them through increased traffic, decreased pedestrian amenity, and the active promotion of junk food.
It is a visual blight on the streetscape and recklessly creates a more dangerous public domain, not a safer one.
Mr Gowing, the Moonee Beach community asks you to withdraw this development application in the interests of social and environmental responsibility, and community goodwill.
[mk_button dimension="flat" size="large" url="http://mooneebeachactiongroup.org/petition-to-john-gowing-mobile-friendly/" align="center" fullwidth="true"]Can't see the petition (some phones and PCs)? Try here >[/mk_button]